One of the biggest things that a person can do to help not only change their own life but others as well, is smile. If you’re happy, then maybe you might want to regularly tell your face.
Smiling is number two on the list of the 43 Habits of Absolutely Happy People. If you can turn smiling into a habit, then you can turn happiness into a habit. The author of “The Power of Smiling”, Ron Gutman, says smiling can do these 6 things for you:
- You’re more attractive. People will find you more attractive and you will find them more attractive as well. All from simply smile.
- You can change the world! A smile is contagious. Have you ever been in a bad mood and somebody comes along with a huge smile or is laughing, how does it make you feel? Immediately happier! Pass it on, smiling has special powers. You can calm fear, insecurities, hurt and anxiety not only in yourself but in those that are experiencing those feelings. The next time someone is feeling sad, scared or nervous, smile with them and see how this makes them feel! Give that to the world and they will give it back to you!
- Yes, wrinkles. Think what happens when you frown, it turns your face upside down. Well smiling helps your face move right side up and as you age your wrinkles will look a whole lot better.
- Simply feel good. Smiling simply makes you feel better.
- Build better, faster relationships. When someone smiles when you are talking- doesn’t it seem like they are much more interested in what you have to say.
- Enhance your business. Would your patients or friends rather look at somebody who looks like their best chicken just died or would your patients rather interact with the doctor who is showing passion and compassion through a smile?
Do you feel like you can’t smile right now? Have you have been going through a tough time that has you down? A great tip to help that is to think of those moments that made you smile. Maybe there is a happy memory from a family vacation, a celebration or a big historic life moment. Remember one of those moments and use those moments as a navigator to your path of happiness.
I challenge you to spend the rest of the day taking extra time to focus on your ability to affect the lives of those around you and yourself by smiling. Turn that frown upside down and put on a happy face!